ineffective heating - (repost)
Help and information on all topics relating to your central heating, air conditioning and ventilation issues.

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Silver_back90
Apprentice
Apprentice

ineffective heating - (repost)

Post by Silver_back90 » Mon Jan 19, 2009 12:20 am

I have been advised to re-post this topic:
I have just moved into a new built house and the heating seems ineffective so if any heating engineers could offer their opinion i would be very grateful:
House is 3 storey with 2 heating zones both controlled by thermostats one in hallway and one on 1st floor.
System is basically all working as it should, all rads are getting hot and both thermostats (Hallway and 1st floor) have been cross checked with other thermometers.
With an outside temp of about 8 degrees I noted following internal temperatures:
Hallway 17deg
Ist floor landing 18.5
I set the hallway stat to 20deg left the 1st floor stat at 18deg, and an hour later I checked the temperatures:
Hallway 19deg
1st Floor landing 19.5
The hall thermostat had not clicked out at all and the system had been running constantly for the hour.
I took a temp reading at the ceiling by the stairs: – 25 degrees!
Therefore it seems to me (IMHO) that most of the heat from hallway rad (2109 btu )is being funnelled up stairs and heating 1st and 2nd floor landings without being able to warm up the hallway sufficiently to trip the stat. This means the heating system is going constantly (and costing me a fortune).
The other downside is that to get any heat into the bedrooms (1st and 2nd floor) I have to have 1st floor stat set to 22/23deg!
This just does not seem right for a new build house, and I was wondering if any Heating Engineers on here could give their opinion.
Sorry it’s a long post, but I just wanted a 2nd opinion before I contact the builder
Thanks

htg engineer
Project Manager
Project Manager

Post by htg engineer » Mon Jan 19, 2009 2:56 pm

'Basic prob is that If we set the stat to 20 degrees it don't cut out! I have had heating on today for 4 hours (raising temp in hallway from 17 to 19 degrees), it seems to me the heat is being funneled up the stairs. '

You say setting the stat to 20 it doesn't cut out - but the hallway is only 19. Therefore it's doing it's job, as the room isn't reaching 20 degrees.

As heat rises, the stairs will act like a chimney for the heat, the only options I can see that you have are :

If the hallway is reaching a good temperature (feels warm) then the radiator is obviously large enough and I would think about re-positioning the stats, or as you say the room is at 19 degrees so turn stat down to 19 and see how it goes for a day or so.

If the hallway isn't warm enough you could increase the radiator size to satisfy the hall and stairway then the stat should cut off.

The positon i would choose for the stats, would be one at the top of the stairs and one in a bedroom (one thast doesn't get much sun - so if this room is warm - the rest should be too) - having two stats in the same room seems pointless as all you're controlling is the temperature of the staircase.

htg

Silver_back90
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by Silver_back90 » Mon Jan 19, 2009 11:21 pm

Thanks for reply,
yes the stats and rads are all working fine, it just seems that an hour to heat a hallway up by 2 deg (on a relatively warm day - last week it took 4 hours) seems too long.
As I said, most of the heat appears to be going up stair well and heating the 1st foor landing (which is where the 2nd zone stat is).
I think the hallway stat is in a viable position but I agree with you re the 2nd zone stat, it should be in either a bedroom or on the 3rd floor landing.

My thinking is that a 2100 btu rad is insufficient to heat a hall of this size (approx 6m x 2m long with steel front door at one end and stairs at other), The rad is by the front door and the stat is on the opposite wall at the stairs end.
We bought the house new in Sep 08, I guess I'm going to pay for an independant assessment of the set up/design and then take it up with the builders.

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1