Installation of Commercial White Goods in Domestic Household
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Kelvin Evans
Labourer
Labourer

Installation of Commercial White Goods in Domestic Household

by Kelvin Evans » Sat Jul 25, 2009 1:17 pm

Not being an Electrician, I would like to know whether It is possible to install commercially available 'white goods'-such as a tumble-dryer- in a domestic household. They hold a far greater capacity of course, if not economical, but they seem to last forever.
We have had three domestic units, the quality of which has proven to be poor. The expense involved could have paid for a commercial model and have change!!!
I believe they have to be 'hard-wired';what does this mean exactly?

kbrownie
Project Manager
Project Manager

by kbrownie » Sat Jul 25, 2009 7:09 pm

Kelvin Evans:
Hard wired means they will be connected to the installation via the flexed cord on the appliance to an outlet-plate on the circuit supplying the power, this will mean it will be connected using screw terminals rather than just a plug in to a socket-outlet.
I don't see any reason why they can't, the problem would be the current they need to operate the appliance and that is likely the reason for hard wire connection.
Have you seen some and know what the output on them are?
I've seen some wash/MC that are between 12kw and 36kw tasty breaker size and cable size plus electric bills.
but also seen some dishwasher that run on extra low voltage 12v.
So be interested what you had in mind.
Regards
KB

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Sun Apr 07, 2024 11:52 am