Installing a Backdraft into a Bathroom Extractor fan
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Bimbo86
Labourer
Labourer

Installing a Backdraft into a Bathroom Extractor fan

by Bimbo86 » Wed Nov 21, 2018 9:40 pm

Not got much knowledge on DIY and I am female haha...

I had a Newlec extractor fitted by an electrician last year in my bathroom when I moved in. There was no extractor so he did it from scratch, coring a hole etc.
The extractor works brilliantly when on, gets all the moisture out and sucks up lots of dust. However, as soon as it's off a draft comes in from outside and blows a lot of dust back in and makes the bathroom cold. The outlet on the exterior wall is a 3 flap one and the wind tends to blow it open.
I have done some googling and it seems to be a simple fix with one of these backdraft mechanisms you can put inside the essential hole in the wall between the extractor and the outlet vent.
How easy is it to slot one of these in? I have looked at the front of the extractor and to gain access to the hole I'd have to remove the unit by looks of things. It does have wires etc on it but I'm assuming it should come off easily then can be screwed back on once I have the backdraft inside the hole.

Any advice? Or should I leave this to an electrician despite there not being wiring involved?

Thanks in advance

ericmark
Project Manager
Project Manager

Re: Installing a Backdraft into a Bathroom Extractor fan

by ericmark » Wed Nov 21, 2018 11:31 pm

It does seem they can be added from the outside without touching the extractor fan, as to from inside depends on how much cable and make of fan.

There are heat recovery units which fit into the same single hole as an extractor fan where the air going out heats the air coming in.

Bimbo86
Labourer
Labourer

Re: Installing a Backdraft into a Bathroom Extractor fan

by Bimbo86 » Fri Nov 23, 2018 1:21 am

ericmark wrote:It does seem they can be added from the outside without touching the extractor fan, as to from inside depends on how much cable and make of fan.

There are heat recovery units which fit into the same single hole as an extractor fan where the air going out heats the air coming in.

Thanks Eric. Cool I had no idea about the heat recovery unit. Thanks for your help. I think I'll go with trying it from the outside as it's much cheaper than heat recovery unit. Cheers.

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:23 am