Installing a new indirect hot water cylinder
All aspects of plumbing questions and answers, help, tips and information

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Dadwood
Ganger
Ganger

Installing a new indirect hot water cylinder

by Dadwood » Tue Aug 12, 2008 5:26 pm

Dear Lads (and Lasses), Is it best to sit the new cylinder straight on the wooden floorboards in the airing cupboard or should it be stood on two pieces of timber each about 4 inches wide and positioned 3" apart centrally beneath the cyl? Also, how can I best connect a length of new 28mm copper pipe to a piece of the old 1" copper? Are their outside diameters similar? Would it be best to use a straight compression coupling? If so, would I need a special size olive? Thank you for any guidance you may be able to give.

plumbbob
Project Manager
Project Manager

by plumbbob » Tue Aug 12, 2008 10:17 pm

Sit the tank directly on the floor or on a square of 18mm chipboard. Do not stand the tank on thin strips of wood as the cylinder base is designed for even support around it's circumference.

As for 28mm - 1", it's been so long since having to connect the two, I can't remember how great the difference is. I have a feeling though that inch to 28mm had the least difference between the three sizes, and it is possible to connect the two without special adapters. However, you had better check with a plumber's merchant if you need to be sure before starting the project.

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Mon Apr 22, 2024 10:31 am