Installing a new Staircase
Re-generate an old or tired space and give it a fresh breath of life. Click here for answers, information and tips

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Elaine Valentine
Labourer
Labourer

Installing a new Staircase

by Elaine Valentine » Sat Jul 03, 2021 10:31 am

I bought a house built in 1907 and have been renovating it. I have now got to the stage of looking at the staircase. The previous owners removed the original staircase and put in an off the shelf one and then to gain the length added a small landing on step 2 and then turned it into the lounge. By doing so they then reduced the head height to less than 5ft 6inch and everyone bags their heads. The steps he added are not the same height one is way bigger and the second smaller than the others. So I keep falling off the 1st step as I come down as it is so much deeper. I had the house rewired and new plumbing put in which followed the only path they could but means the top step (landing) cannot go back to the original height. So my only option apart from building an extension; just to house the staircase is to build a hall and staircase into the dining/kitchen and take over part of that room. Looking at the building regs I am not sure if this would be allowed, as it means the staircase would go up through the dining part of the room. Could I get away with this if the staircase is boxed in completely with fire retardant insulation? The staircase would then start in this new hallway go up 6 steps before turning back into the original stairwell. Grateful for any suggestions/advice.

stoneyboy
Project Manager
Project Manager

Re: Installing a new Staircase

by stoneyboy » Sun Jul 04, 2021 9:16 pm

Hi Elaine Valentine
It is not possible to give you a definitive answer based on the information you have posted.
There is no doubt that if you have 3 storeys the staircase would have to be fire protected and lead to outside.
Suggest you firm up your ideas, do sketches of what you propose and then submit a building notice (without plans) so you can agree design on site with a building inspector.
Regards S

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 11:59 am