Installing a new thermostat in kitchen for underfloor heating
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Cjfrazzle
Labourer
Labourer

Installing a new thermostat in kitchen for underfloor heating

by Cjfrazzle » Sat Jul 17, 2021 11:09 am

I am installing a new thermostat in my kitchen for underfloor heating. However, my old thermostat has an earth wire connected to it but the new thermostat has no earth terminal. Therefore, what shall I do with the earth wire? Pics attached
Attachments
New thermostat
New thermostat

Mr White
Project Manager
Project Manager

Re: Installing a new thermostat in kitchen for underfloor heating

by Mr White » Sun Jul 18, 2021 3:16 pm

Information:
Your thermostat is what is known a double insulated as shown by the symbol of a square, within a square. This means there are no conductive parts that could become live, so no earth is required.

What to do:
As the earth is no longer required, it can be "Tucked out of the way" but to avoid it touching anything, the best solution is to put it into a single piece of connector strip. Under no circumstances should it be severed as in the future you may have to change the thermostat again and the next one may require an earth. This applies to anything that has an earth cable but has no earth connection, also the earth is there to provide a path to earth if the cable is severed.

ericmark
Project Manager
Project Manager

by ericmark » Fri Aug 20, 2021 10:45 pm

Mr White has answered the queston, however electric UFH uses more power than water systems so must ensure rating is high enough, and with one or two exceptions like raychem most need a sensor in the floor this may need an earth brade.

ericmark
Project Manager
Project Manager

by ericmark » Sun Aug 22, 2021 9:50 pm

Mr White has answered the queston, however electric UFH uses more power than water systems so must ensure rating is high enough, and with one or two exceptions like raychem most need a sensor in the floor this may need an earth brade.

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 11:42 am