Installing A Shaver Socket
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
nitro23456
Foreman
Foreman

Installing A Shaver Socket

by nitro23456 » Sat Nov 15, 2008 12:28 pm

One of my bathroom walls is a stud wall, the outside of which is the landing/upstairs hall area which has a normal socket at the usual height.

Can I spur off this directly upwards in the plaster board cavity and connect a shaver socket inside the bathroom? (ie the other side of the stud wall and hall socket, just higher up so its above a shelf in the bathroom)

DO I need anything else apart fromt he twin and earth for the spur and obviously the shaver socket? The existing socket is RCD protected. Basically, do I need a fuse unit etc etc or will the above suffice?

I am not looking for Part P advice as this is in hand.

sparx
Project Manager
Project Manager

by sparx » Sat Nov 15, 2008 10:06 pm

Hi, although most shaver units have fuse protection onboard it is on the secondary side, therefore unless taking from a lighting circuit fused @ 6A,
it does need a fuse upstream, an unswitched fused spur would suffice with a 3A fuse fitted, also allowing you to wire it in 1mm2 or 1.5mm2.

{usual safety comments/disclaimers etc.}
regards Sparx

nitro23456
Foreman
Foreman

by nitro23456 » Sun Dec 28, 2008 2:16 pm

I have bought a fused switch to go between the spur and the shaver socket.

Does the fused switch have to be located outside the bathroom? I have read somewhere that it does although I can't see the logic behind that.

Ideally I would like it located right next to the shaver socket inside the bathroom.

ericmark

by ericmark » Sun Dec 28, 2008 8:47 pm

It would depend on IP ratting of switch and manufactures recommendations but for most common switches it would need to be at least out of Zone 2 and better if outside bathroom as you will never switch it off anyway. Common to fit in the loft. Also it stops the LABC from getting upset. Anything for easy life.
Eric

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Sat Apr 06, 2024 1:53 pm