All aspects of plumbing questions and answers, help, tips and information

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
griff.larco
Labourer
Labourer

installing a shower pump

by griff.larco » Wed Jan 06, 2010 8:23 pm

Hello & Bonjour
I have just installed a wood-burning central heating/hot water system. The system is vented and I have followed the manufacturer's installation instructions along with a modicum of advice from an experienced plumber.
My problem now seems to be a lack of head between my cold water tank and shower/tap outlets, giving me a very poor flow from bath and basin taps. (I haven't connected the shower room to the system yet, but as this is at a similar level to the bath, I know the flow will be just as bad). I am unable to raise the cold water header tank.
Can I install a shower pump to supply the bath and basin, as well as the shower? Am I likely to over-ride the supply by running the bath, even with a Surrey flange fitted? Am I totally daft even to consider doing it?

plumbbob
Project Manager
Project Manager

by plumbbob » Fri Jan 08, 2010 12:51 am

You will need two pumps. A single impeller for the basin and bath hot and a twin to pump both hot and cold to the shower.

Your problem is going to be with the expansion pipe and air being drawn into the pipework. A Surrey or E-s-s-e-x flange will reduce the risk but if the header tank is very low a risk will remain.

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Mon Apr 08, 2024 7:56 am