Installing a Stud/Dry Lining to a Stone Wall
Information, help and solutions to many issues encountered when converting barns and older buildings

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Ciderman
Apprentice
Apprentice

Installing a Stud/Dry Lining to a Stone Wall

by Ciderman » Fri Apr 19, 2019 6:15 am

Good morning folks.
I would like to dry line or stud the kitchen walls in a 170 year old converted barn.
The consensus may be that I am wrong to cover all the lovely exposed stonework but I want to be able to install a new kitchen and tile the walls for cleanliness and to add a nice modern look.
The stone is roughly 18" thick, bare stone with no cavity and is in very sound condition with no damp whatsoever.... thankfully.
What I want to do is add a batten stud dry lining from floor to ceiling, for installing a new kitchen.
My main question is - do I need to add a damp proof membrane before attaching the batten and insulation.
Since there is zero damp, I am conscious of creating an unwantes condensation risk with a membrane against the cold stone.
Ideally I want to keep the stud wall as thin as possible to not reduce the kitchen area too much.
Was hoping to get away with an appriximate 2" stud wall thickness and add some sort of insulation.
Any advice or wisdom on this would be very appreciated.

Ciderman
Apprentice
Apprentice

Re: Installing a Stud/Dry Lining to a Stone Wall

by Ciderman » Sun Apr 21, 2019 7:27 pm

Hmmm... ok then.... any recommendations on what sort of vapour barrier to use? Type, manufacturer.... that kind of thing?

Maybe I'm asking the wrong question....

marteaulimo
Labourer
Labourer

Re: Installing a Stud/Dry Lining to a Stone Wall

by marteaulimo » Fri Apr 02, 2021 10:56 pm

Hi @ciderman, this reply is probably eleven months too late, but my advice based on your stated intention to tile the walls is: I wouldn't bother with a vapour barrier - though you do need to make sure you mechanically ventilate the kitchen and bathroom areas.

I've stayed in a converted barn/house (60cm thick cob walls) which grows mould on windows and frames during winter, despite a fairly robust dehumidifier being installed. The bathoom which was all tiled was especially bad. The ceiling/roof had foil insulation which trapped any moisture from escaping out the home and basically turned the whole bathroom into one big tupperware container. Temperatures subzero and very damp for most of winter so opening a window isn't going to have much effect. Anyway, hope that helps. Good luck

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Wed Apr 17, 2024 7:29 am