Installing a Wireless Switch Kit to Control Outside Lights
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
rosedani
Apprentice
Apprentice

Installing a Wireless Switch Kit to Control Outside Lights

Post by rosedani » Sun Jul 28, 2019 12:26 pm

Hi all, I bought a wireless switch kit recently that I want to install behind the existing switch that controls x3 outside lights in my house.

The switch reciever has x3 cables coming out of it x1 L, X1 N and x1 out. I'm not sure if the switch that currently controls the lights has the wires I need behind it though?

I've attached a few pics so you can see what the reciever looks like... I've also attached a few pics of the existing switch and the wires available behind it.

If possible, can someone have a look at the pics and let me know if I have what I need to install the kit?

Thanks in advance!
Dan
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Mr White
Project Manager
Project Manager

Re: Installing a Wireless Switch Kit to Control Outside Lights

Post by Mr White » Sun Jul 28, 2019 7:45 pm

In the UK there is no such thing as a "standard colour code" for light switches. So unless you can identify what colour does what I am going to have to say "all anyone can do is guess" but guess and get it wrong......"

Also I have some "general questions"

Is your new switch compatible with your existing lights? (Some electronic switches have a minimum load)

Is your current back box deep enough to accept the round "module" and allow you to make connections and to add the new switch?

Your picture clearly shows a yellow wire (not just the green/yellow) can your lights be turned off from elsewhere too? i.e one switch one end of the hall and another switch at the other end of the hall.

I would also have to ask why are you replacing a switch with a different switch to control the same lights that the existing switch already controls?

rosedani
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by rosedani » Mon Jul 29, 2019 11:43 am

Hi, Yes it is compatible with my existing lights. The reason why I'm installing a wireless switch is because the existing switch is nowhere near the backdoor to my house. I was going to move the existing switch over to the door but didn't fancy chasing wires through freshly plastered/painted walls.

There is only one existing switch that controls all 3 outside lights. So it's just one switch that turns them all on and off.

Mr White
Project Manager
Project Manager

Post by Mr White » Wed Jul 31, 2019 6:52 am

As you wish.
It would appear that the "unit" is compatible with your lights. I would suggest you follow the supplied instructions exactly as they show. I am presuming the double blue is neutral (But you really should check it first)
My only real concern is the "extra yellow wire" I have no idea what it is for or what it does or what it is connected to, it was the reason that I asked can you switch the lights off from another location.

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Mon Apr 01, 2024 3:36 am