All aspects of plumbing questions and answers, help, tips and information

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
NewbiePlumba
Apprentice
Apprentice

Installing an additional rad.

by NewbiePlumba » Sun Nov 09, 2008 4:13 pm

Hi all
I've been told that before commencing any work on a central heating system, I would be wise to cleanse the system through (a week before work is due to start) with Sentinol X100 to flush out all of the crap that's been gathering in the system. Is this correct and how do I go about this if there is no F&E tank??
Maybe a silly question but how do I use the filling loop to fill the system back up??

I did my 1st private yesterday (outside tap) but cut into the hot for the bath by mistake and nervousness. A mate said before I repair that I need to turn off the boiler at the fused spur so the boiler isn't trying to heat water that's not in the pipes (due to draining down) then make the repair then after turn the boiler back on, this correct??

Thanks

bobplum
Foreman
Foreman

by bobplum » Sun Nov 09, 2008 5:25 pm

hi
are you sure you want to do this?
?

htg engineer
Project Manager
Project Manager

by htg engineer » Sun Nov 09, 2008 8:40 pm

If the system has inhibitor in then there's no need to add cleanser - (x100 is inhibitor, not cleanser)

You can add inhibitor, cleanser, noise reducer etc etc using a sentinel dosing bottle or by removing and adding the product to a radiator.

Turning off the boiler as a precaution wont hurt.

As for cutting into the hot water pipe by mistake, silly mistakes (schoolboy errors) happen to everyone at some point. When carrying out jobs in private houses you really need to take extreme care - not much good for your reputation if you flood houses - or your bank balance if you have to pay for damages.

If unsure about working on hot water systems then you need to do some reading.

htg

NewbiePlumba
Apprentice
Apprentice

by NewbiePlumba » Sun Nov 09, 2008 9:23 pm

Thank you for your reply htg.

How about the filling loop? Is this used to fill the heaing system back up after maintenance and how do I go about using it?

Thanks.

htg engineer
Project Manager
Project Manager

by htg engineer » Mon Nov 10, 2008 4:51 pm

All the filling loop is - is a ballofix or other type of isolation valve and a non-return valve. You connect the two with a braided hose and turn on the isolation valve until the pressure is between 1.0 and 1.5 bar. When you bleed the radiators you will need to keep going back to the combi fill to re-pressurise.

hope this helps

htg

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Wed Apr 03, 2024 8:14 am