Installing an uplighter using 5amp fused spur from socket
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
OscarMike16
Labourer
Labourer

Installing an uplighter using 5amp fused spur from socket

by OscarMike16 » Fri Apr 15, 2016 10:21 pm

Hi all,

Have a small query to begin with hopefully I don't run into any more issues as I work on the task, but basically I'd like your advice on the following.

It's probably a stupid question but I want to be safer rather than sorry. I plan on running a 2 core 1mm flex spur from a single socket down beside the bed , up about 50cm, sticking in a 5amp fused switch and running it to an uplighter positioned above the headboard of the bed. The uplighter states that it doesn't require an earth as it's double insulated so that's why I was going for the 2 core, my question is would this have any impact on my ring main as it's the first introduction of a spur and its not earthed.

Thanks in advance.

ericmark
Project Manager
Project Manager

Re: Installing an uplighter using 5amp fused spur from socket

by ericmark » Sat Apr 16, 2016 1:56 pm

Before 1966 that would have been OK. However it was found that many lamps had been used which required an earth so the 1966 wiring regulations (14th Edition) said that an earth wire must be included in any fixed installation even when the unit at the end is a class II unit. So even though the lamp does not need an earth one has still to provide an earth.

Regulations have changed, in 1992 they became a British Standard BS7671 so where referring to previous editions we tend to only start when they became a British standard. (16th Edition)

Big changes in 2001 where the BS7671:1992 was replaced with BS7671:2001 although still called the 16th Edition, then in 2008 we went to 17th Edition and BS7671:2008. Today up to amendment 3.

The big change in 2008 was the RCD. So today near every light, socket, and cable in the house needs to be RCD protected. There are exceptions but the problem is old circuits only need to comply with regulations current at the time they were fitted. But a new circuit needs to comply with current regulations.

Regulations are not law, the only law with domestic is Part P building regulations which says you can comply by following BS7671 but you could also follow any other European standard it you want.

Once you stop complying with regulations then where would you stop? Knife switches with exposed live parts? As an electrician I have a problem I can't unlearn what I know. So if I do something which does not comply I can't say sorry I didn't know, I have a list of qualifications which show I do know.

However I have learnt this over 50 years and there is no way I can tell you on a forum how to do each task. But I fitted RCD protection to my house in 1992 all circuits and I feel as long as that is fitted I could let my son play radio and computers in relative safety. It worked out OK he now also have level 5 qualifications and is also an electrical engineer.

So old story, design 6 times and fit once. I used simple two way and intermediate switching for my bed head lights. Can switch on and off at door or at side of bed. For mother I used a simple plug and two large switches and up-lighter again one switch at bed head and one at door. The wiring is all three core white flex, earth folded back at up-lighter, and flex glued to wall in oval trunking and direct using sticky back trunking with corking to ensure it does not fall off again with time.

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Tue Mar 26, 2024 8:57 pm