DIY Doctor

Main navigation

Installing bathroom extractor fan connected to light switch

Postby JimmyOve » Thu Aug 12, 2021 12:58 pm

An electrician recently left my high and dry half way through installing a light and extractor fan for a downstairs WC. I have successfully wired in the light and now I’m not having any luck with the extractor fan. The cable that the spark left hanging out the wall for it includes a blue, brown and bare copper earth wire but the extractor unit wants a neutral, permanent live and switched live feed? The extractor was supposed to link up with the light switch so do I need a new 100mm extractor (if so could you recommended a basic one) or do I need someone to replace the cable?
JimmyOve
Progress to next rank:
0%

Sponsor

Simply Build It

Postby Mr White » Thu Aug 12, 2021 6:18 pm

Ideally the fan needs a 3 core and earth cable.
You have 3 choices

1) You install a 3 core and earth cable.
2) You pay someone to install a 3 core and earth cable.
3) Since timers in fans often fail, use the twin and earth to connect the fan to the light, but bypass the timer.

As it is just for a toilet you will have no steam so do not really need a timer. To bypass the timer link live to switched live. Neutral and earth to their respective terminals.
Mr White

Sort by
Order by

• DIY How to Project Guides
  • DIY how to tutorial projects and guides - Did you know we have a DIY Projects section? Well, if no, then we certainly do! Within this area of our site have literally hundreds of how-to guides and tutorials that cover a huge range of home improvement tasks. Each page also comes with pictures and a video to make completing those jobs even easier!