Installing Central Heating to Replace Electric Heaters and Aga?
Help and information on all topics relating to your central heating, air conditioning and ventilation issues.

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
theorchards
Labourer
Labourer

Installing Central Heating to Replace Electric Heaters and Aga?

by theorchards » Sat Sep 21, 2019 8:56 am

We have just bought a new house, and there is currently only electric heaters and an aga! Its a total 'do-er upper' but I want to get an idea of how much it will cost to install a new central heating system. It is a three bed house, consisting of: ground floor with living/dining room, kitchen and utility/shower room, first floor with two bedrooms and a bathroom and the second floor which is the master bedroom.

We haven't moved in yet so its difficult getting people in for quotes and I want to start divvying up our budget!

ericmark
Project Manager
Project Manager

Re: Installing Central Heating to Replace Electric Heaters and Aga?

by ericmark » Sat Sep 21, 2019 9:59 pm

It is very different doing up to sell and doing up to live in, I will assume the latter.

So if a central heating engineer wants to fit central heating and walk away knowing it will work he will fit some thing like EvoHome or Tado and basic idea is the thermostatic radiator valve (TRV) head will slowly open and close valve as required by each room, and tell the central controller how much energy it needs and the central controller tells the boiler what output is required by connection to boiler ebus.

However using cheap TRV heads (£10 each) you can still program in times to change temperatures and get nearly the same result, but it takes a lot of tweaking to get it to run A1.

I use a mixture, £40 TRV heads down stairs and £15 TRV heads upstairs, there are other items, a fan assisted radiator filled in the plinth in the kitchen saves loads of space.

Clearly a gas safe or what ever has to fit boiler, but rest could be DIY.

Now with an Aga you can use a cylinder where loads of heat sources feed in, and so all can help with central heating, or you can have Aga stand alone.

There has to be a point where it's not worth the expense, but where that point is hard to say.

With programmable TRV heads bluetooth version I use £15 each every room it it's own zone, so see no point in zone valves, but radiator can't heat if boiler not running.

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1