installing dimmer in place of a double switch
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
nicholas221078
Labourer
Labourer

installing dimmer in place of a double switch

by nicholas221078 » Sun Aug 19, 2007 9:54 pm

i have a double switch in my kitchen,one switch controls the dining room light and the other switches the living room light on and off,there is a dimmer in the living room which controls the living lights too.i have bought a single dimmer with the means to connect in place of the double switch to control the dinning room,and at the same time disconnect the living room from the double switch,i ran into a prob when i succesfully connected the dining wiring to the dimmer and blanked the other wires(secondry control for living room) all was ok untill i tried switching the dimmer on in the living room and the lights wouldnt come on,i then realized the switch i had disconnected used the same live as the dining lights to power the dimmer in the living room,i then made a connection to the red(which goes to the living dimmer) to the permanent live going to the dining lights,is this correct? what do i do with the black neutral thats spare?also the neutral for the dining lights was blanked too is this normal?
and one last thing,there is no earth behind any of my switches,not even to the rear housing,and the switches are all metal fronts is this ok?
any help would be appreciated

BLAKEY1963
Site Agent
Site Agent

Re: installing dimmer in place of a double switch

by BLAKEY1963 » Thu Aug 23, 2007 12:08 am

[quote="nicholas221078"]i have a double switch in my kitchen,one switch controls the dining room light and the other switches the living room light on and off,there is a dimmer in the living room which controls the living lights too.i have bought a single dimmer with the means to connect in place of the double switch to control the dinning room,and at the same time disconnect the living room from the double switch,i ran into a prob when i succesfully connected the dining wiring to the dimmer and blanked the other wires(secondry control for living room) all was ok untill i tried switching the dimmer on in the living room and the lights wouldnt come on,i then realized the switch i had disconnected used the same live as the dining lights to power the dimmer in the living room,i then made a connection to the red(which goes to the living dimmer) to the permanent live going to the dining lights,is this correct? what do i do with the black neutral thats spare?also the neutral for the dining lights was blanked too is this normal?

and one last thing,there is no earth behind any of my switches,not even to the rear housing,and the switches are all metal fronts is this ok?
any help would be appreciated[/quote]

NICHOLAS221078
IF YOUR METAL WORK BECOMES LIVE UNDER FAULT
CONDITIONS U COULD B ELECTROCUTED.
U HAVE NO EARTH FAULT PROTECTION.
I ADVISE U GET IN AN ELECTRCIAN IN VIEW OF REWIRING ASAP. I WOULD ISOLATE CIRCUIT UNTIL ADVICE IS
SOUGHT.
BLAKEY1963

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Sat Apr 13, 2024 3:21 pm