installing downlights
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
bazza
Ganger
Ganger

installing downlights

by bazza » Mon May 28, 2007 4:43 pm

hi everyone im wanting to fit some downlights in my landing ceiling i waz just wondering if they are simple enough to install and do they just loop into each other and is it a job i can do myself (im no expert but i know how lightin curcuits work) and can they be fitted to my original light switch (2 gang 2 way)any tips wud be much appreciated sorry if i sound abit dumb but ive never had any interest in figuring out downlights b4 i dont like them but the mrs aint half naggin for me to fit em ah ah so any advise about how to go about this wud be great THANX bazza

kbrownie
Project Manager
Project Manager

Re: installing downlights

by kbrownie » Tue Jan 29, 2013 1:53 pm

To be truthful, as an electrician they are a pain in the rear-end to fit.
They require ventilation and fire-rating, often joists are troublesome and get in the way, as they cannot be fitted near combustible materials. The holing of joists needs to comply to part A of building controls.
They are not designed for the domestic market and luminance is not the same as you standard light fittings as the beam angle is not spread as-well.

But they can be daisy chained across each other and the switches will still function the same, be careful to note and mark down, even photograph the cables/connection of existing light before removing it.
And also run an earth cable between the fittings, even if the instruction state one is not required,

You will require a gap between top of fitting and floor above, this will be a little different with respects to the manufacture and their requirements. So before purchasing, do some investigation in to ceiling void space and depth, then source a fitting suitable for this.
Just realised, this is yonks old!

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Tue Apr 09, 2024 5:33 pm