Installing Drain to Protect Garage From Rainwater
Drainage pipes, concrete, footings and foundations. Post your questions and find answers here

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
timbono1
Labourer
Labourer

Installing Drain to Protect Garage From Rainwater

by timbono1 » Tue Sep 13, 2016 8:45 pm

Hi, this is my first post so please be gentle! I'm a very novice DiYer too!

I'm looking to install a new drainage system in front of my garage to protect against rain water leaking under the door. The garage isn't used for a car so wont need to be load-bearing and is located at the bottom of a gentle sloped tarmac drive. The garage appears to be sat on a concrete base and when the door is closed, protrudes about 6inches before a small gap and then the tarmac drive. The gap fills with mud and weeds and when full is prone to the flooding.

To the right hand side of the garage is another concrete base that has a small sloped corner piece that allows for the water to drain into a makeshift 'soakaway' (decking panels & woodchips) which limits the amount of water that flows on to a sloped garden.

My thoughts are to use some form of saw to extend the gap that is filling up with mud to install a plastic drain with metal grille, and then fill in the gap. I'm presuming that some form of sand/concrete base might be needed underneath the drain to hold it steady and be on some form of slope to ensure the water drains.

In time, I'm hoping to extend my current decking over the second concrete base so the draining edge on the garage/garden would need to remain but again, am presuming that the decking would simply be on top of it.

Could I ask for thoughts, comments on the plan? And an idea of the type of tools I might need to do this?

Many thanks,
Tim

welsh brickie
Project Manager
Project Manager

Re: Installing Drain to Protect Garage From Rainwater

by welsh brickie » Sun Oct 09, 2016 7:16 pm

you will need to install a linear drainage system like ACO and run it into a pit lined with weed suppressant material, and fill the pit with stone chippings.
You will need a pick ,shovel and 230v grinder with a diamond blade, which you could hire. Use a plank as a guide to run the grinder against to cut a neat line.

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Wed Apr 17, 2024 7:22 pm