All aspects of plumbing questions and answers, help, tips and information

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Maxspencer
Labourer
Labourer

Installing freestanding acrylic bath - drainage through side

by Maxspencer » Tue May 31, 2022 12:24 pm

Hi to all,

Just in the process of installing a new bath (freestanding slipper variety with recess for plumbing, not external feet - still to be chosen).

As I'm in a flat with concrete flooring and working with limited space (eaves an issue), I don't have the options to raise the bath with a plinth or chisel into the floor. The option I am currently considering is to use a Uniwaste Universal Waterless Trap (only 75mm approx. space taken with 115mm available. I would then drill into the side of the bath next to the wall (therefore hidden) to take the drainage out and join it up inside a boxed channel.

I asked a bloke in a plumbing showroom about doing this and he said that it would affect the bath's structural strength and it could break. I mentioned that the bath had levelling legs inside the recess which supported it so surely this wouldn't be an issue but he didn't seem to think this made a difference. We're talking about a single 40mm hole.

Before I spend a chunk of cash on a bath and drill a hole in it, I wondered if anyone else had any thoughts, please? I have searched the net but can only find info on drilling tap hole which isn't relevant.

All help and thoughts greatly appreciated.

stoneyboy
Project Manager
Project Manager

Re: Installing freestanding acrylic bath - drainage through side

by stoneyboy » Sun Jun 05, 2022 12:23 am

Hi maxspencer,
If you are asking about the bath which has the sides extended downwards but the bath itself is supported on adjustable feet, there should not be an issue cutting a hole for the waste pipe. It is important that you drill a hole as high as possible, minimum size for the pipe and do not cut a mouse hole in the bottom of the skirt.
Regards S

Maxspencer
Labourer
Labourer

Re: Installing freestanding acrylic bath - drainage through side

by Maxspencer » Mon Jun 06, 2022 11:24 am

Thanks @stoneyboy, that's exactly the answer I was hoping for. I had planned to do exactly what you advise in terms of keeping the hole as high as possible while ensuring I obtained the required drop in level. I'd never considered a 'mouse hole' and had to think what you meant for a second but it makes perfect sense.
A plumber on another site said that he had done exactly as I have planned (for a customer against the plumber's advice) and the customer had no problems after 7 years. I guess it's a small risk that the manufacturer certainly wouldn't accept responsibility for, but I think with extreme care and based on opinions received so far that I will be ok.
Many thanks for your input, it is much appreciated.

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Wed Mar 27, 2024 2:21 am