Installing Pipe Stats With Multifuel Stove
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
DIY
Labourer
Labourer

Installing Pipe Stats With Multifuel Stove

by DIY » Tue Sep 20, 2016 4:35 pm

I am wanting to put a pipe stat onto the return pipe from the heat leak radiator. If the water returning to the multifuel stove is to hot, I want it to switch the circulation pump back on to draw the water away from returning to the stove

ericmark
Project Manager
Project Manager

Re: Installing Pipe Stats With Multifuel Stove

by ericmark » Fri Sep 23, 2016 6:57 am

My son did the same with his narrow boat, however it was not easy, he used 12 volt pumps which were powered from batteries so no fear of a power cut.

However he still had two pumps and two thermostats, plus flow switches, and still not 100% safe. The problem is unlike gas or electric if the pumps fail the heat does not stop, so one needs to be 100% sure the pumps will run, so you need at least one which is battery backed. It is all well and good being battery backed, but also the back-up needs to be tested. If the pump is not run it may stick and fail to start when required.

My son had both pumps running together, and a flow switch on each to show if one failed. Also a second thermostat which again both worked the pumps and showed a light if the first thermostat failed.

Even with this, he still had a failure and the water boiled, the stove had to be raked out.

In a house the normal method is to have thermo-syphon and ensure the header tank can take boiling water. Temperature lamps on the water store to show how much heat is already stored are also used.

The Wilson system does mean the tank heats from the top down, so you can have simple thermostats to show how low the heat has got. With the Wilson system you can have a sink radiator which will start cooling the water as it hits the next to bottom sensor.

However the Wilson system seems only to be used in Ulster, it does not seem to have been adopted in mainland UK. In Mainland UK the water is heated from the bottom not from the top.

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 10:55 am