installing spa bath
If you want to know how your DIY projects could be affected by building and planning regulations, click here to post questions and view answers

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
rambo
Labourer
Labourer

installing spa bath

by rambo » Sat Jul 19, 2008 8:04 am

i am thinking of having a spa bath fitted, how must the pump be wired/protection of circuit and do i need a part p electrician. Was thinking of spurring of the ring main into 3 amp fused spur and then to pullswich with neon

kbrownie
Project Manager
Project Manager

by kbrownie » Wed Aug 13, 2008 8:59 pm

Hi Rambo,
With the new 17th edition of wiring regs now in place, this type of installation now needs to be protected by a 30ma RCD.
Plus it should by law be done by a part p qualified electrician.
The way you are considering to do the circuit up untill July 1st 2008 would seem to be okay, but now the 17th edition is requiring circuits in bathrooms to be on a seperate one to any other circuit in the property.
This is as a safety issue as the human body is more vunerable to electric shocks within the bathroom enviroment and if a electrical fault to earth did occur the RCD would trip and the elecrical supply would disconnected.
I hope this info was of help.
Regards
KB

eljaybee
Ganger
Ganger

by eljaybee » Thu Aug 14, 2008 10:01 pm

This works doesn't have to be done by a Part P electrician but if it isn't then you have to make an application under the Building Regulations as it is notifyable works.

Local Building Control will consider the qualifications of a non Part P registered installer and may then require testing to be carried out.

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1