Installing Wall Heater and Using Old Wall Light Wiring
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

6 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
madmish
Labourer
Labourer

Installing Wall Heater and Using Old Wall Light Wiring

by madmish » Sat Sep 29, 2018 10:10 am

Quick question before I get a sparky out.

I currently have a wall light in my conservatory that we don't use as we have had a good conversion and downlights installed. The wall light is operated from a fuse switch in my living room which is located at the side of a single socket. The wall light is the only thing powered by this fuse switch. Having looked at the fuse is has a 13A fuse in the box so I am unsure whether the light was installed on the power circuit rather than the lighting circuit when it was first fitted. I am wanting to remove the wall light but want to install a wall heater and am hoping to use this circuit.

Is there a way to check whether the light is already on the power circuit and if it is would I be ok to install a 2kw heater onto it (keeping the 13A fuse)?

Mr White
Project Manager
Project Manager

Re: Installing Wall Heater and Using Old Wall Light Wiring

by Mr White » Sat Sep 29, 2018 9:01 pm

Without seeing it, it is not possible to say definitively, but as it was running a light, the cable used is likely to be 1mm.

This cable is too small to run a heater.

KitchenGuy
Ganger
Ganger

by KitchenGuy » Sun Sep 30, 2018 2:53 am

I would go with what Mr. White says above, the switch will take it but it is unlikely the cable will. It is worth checking the cable though, you never know. It will need to be at least 2.5mm cable to run 2KW which in layman's terms is the size cable used to run a ring main for plug sockets.

madmish
Labourer
Labourer

by madmish » Sun Sep 30, 2018 10:24 am

Ahh ok thanks for that. Probably just have to get someone to have a look then. Just looking for an option that doesn't involve having to replaster for new cable to be run but I only have two double power sockets in there and they are both in the dwarf wall sections. It is a playroom for my 1 year old so don't want electric heaters at that height

collectors
Foreman
Foreman

by collectors » Sun Sep 30, 2018 4:00 pm

Ditto with Mr white. It should also have a 3 or 5 amp fuse for lights on a 1mm cable.

madmish
Labourer
Labourer

by madmish » Sun Sep 30, 2018 8:44 pm

Yeah it was the fact it has a 13amp fuse that made me question if it was on the power circuit (and the fuse switch is wired adjacent to a power socket at ankle height!). Will take the wall light down and have a look at the cable

6 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 8:59 am