Insulating a polycarbonate roof
Information, help, tips and advice on cavity walls, ceilings and lofts etc....

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
bobbijean
Labourer
Labourer

Insulating a polycarbonate roof

by bobbijean » Tue Dec 23, 2008 11:53 pm

I need to Insulate my conservatory roof for Heat and Sound.

It's freezing in winter and scalding hot in the summer.

I'm a D.J and Pole dance instructor, this room is where my decks are and where I teach.
It was built by previous owner with no insulation what so ever.Its that bad any conversations in there can be clearly over heard outside.

The length or room is 5m 50cm and width is 3m 20cm.The polycarbonate is attached to 8 internal beams,2 of those beams are plastic where the strip lighting is on and the rest are timber.

I have been advised the best way to do this is insulate with mineral wool between each beam then cover with plasterboard???
Please could anyone advice me or recommend materials/products needed for this job.
THANK YOU

stoneyboy
Project Manager
Project Manager

by stoneyboy » Wed Dec 24, 2008 12:09 pm

bobbijean,
A lot will depend on the size of the beams, at the moment you have a roof covering which weighs virtually nothing.
If you were to insulate between the beams and add plasterboard this would add considerably to the roof loading. The other problem will be condensation in the insulation, you will need to ventilate above the insulation and leave a 50mm clear gap with vents at the top and bottom of the roof.
You will probably be better off replacing the roof with a felt roof but then the question is whether the structure supporting the roof is strong enough.
end

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 3:22 am