Insulating above a Garage
Information, help, tips and advice on cavity walls, ceilings and lofts etc....

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Fulls
Labourer
Labourer

Insulating above a Garage

by Fulls » Sun Dec 19, 2010 11:11 pm

Hi,

I live in a two bedroom property which is directly above 3 garages! The insulation above the garages is minimal and I am looking for advice on what to do.

After closer inspection tonight it appears (i am no expert!) there are concrete joists which are 200mm apart. These then hold up concrete blocks. The issue I see is that there are gaps between the concrete blocks which lets the air through. The floor in the place is very cold.

I have had one floor up in a hall way and the floor boards have a thin layer of what looks like polysterine insulation.

I would prefer to insulate above the garage but need some advice. There are wooden beams which run from front to back and are held up by brackets. Ceiling board has then been partially used to cover the ceiling but with no insulation.

I have read all over the net about spray on foam but had a quote tonight to do all 3 garages at 1950 pounds. Another option I was looking at was buying 600mm wide insulation slabs, however when I investigated tonight it seems its concrete style joists with only wooden parts to fasten board up.

The property is aprox 30 years old and def would not meet the building regs if built today.

What can I do? apart from move

welsh brickie
Project Manager
Project Manager

insulation

by welsh brickie » Tue Dec 21, 2010 2:24 pm

if you want to use sprayfoam,You can buy it and spray it yourself saving money Google "expandingfoamkits.co.uk"

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Sun Apr 21, 2024 10:35 am