Insulating an Existing Concrete Build Property in Poland
Information, help, tips and advice on cavity walls, ceilings and lofts etc....

Doughnuts
Labourer
Labourer

Insulating an Existing Concrete Build Property in Poland

by Doughnuts » Sun Feb 21, 2016 7:14 pm

Hello
This is my 1st post as I am a little confused by some of the previous solutions to similar problems.
I have a house in Poland that is in desperate need of renovation. It is only going to be a holiday home and was passed on by family. The house itself is built of concrete and block entirely and is 3 stories high. I am only starting with the 1st floor above a basement garage and the floor is a solid concrete slab with joists laid directly on top with chipboard flooring across the joists. There is no insulation at all and no ventilation or damp proof in the slab, only in the wall is there damp proof.
So my question is what would be the best way to insulate the floor. I was thinking of a type of "cutable" insulation foam board that I could wedge between the existing joists and then lay the chipboard back down before finishing with a floor covering? Would I have to worry about a damp proof etc? Anybody's thoughts concerning this problem would be appreciated especially as I am sure there are other aspects I have not considered.
Also the concrete slab which sits above a basement garage and so is not part of the "foundation" has a number of holes in it for central heating from a basement furnace. I am simply considering sealing these over with steel plates before the insulation goes on top?

Anyway, all suggestions would be appreciated.

It is currently Sun Apr 07, 2024 7:10 am