DIY Doctor

Main navigation

Insulating an old cottage

Postby Mick Ball » Wed Jun 02, 2010 9:29 pm


I've just bought a 150 ish year old end of terrace cottage with a single story extension, (100 ish years old), on the north facing side.

This extension has solid walls that are two bricks thick & no cavity.

There is then battening that has plaster board fastened to it. The battening is of different thickness on different walls which leaves a 'cavity' between the brick and plaster board of different depths, from 2 to 8 inches.

The original house is built of stone with rubble filled walls.

The extension is noticeably colder than the rest of the house and this is where my living room is!

I'm thinking that I'd like to insulate the walls of my living room from the inside because it's empty at the moment and I'll be decorating it anyway.

I'd planned to remove the plaster board, make the battening deeper in places and fill between the cavity with some kind of insulation. I'd then re plaster board and skim over with a thin layer of plaster.

After doing some research, I've read that I need to be wary of condensation and that my house construction probably needs to be permeable so it can breathe.

Can anyone give me advise on what type of insulation I can use and if my method sounds sensible

Many thanks... Mick.
Mick Ball
Rank: Labourer
Progress to next rank:
Posts: 1
Joined: Wed Jun 02, 2010 9:22 pm


Simply Build It

Postby Lexifir » Wed Jun 09, 2010 1:35 pm

Bit tricky.

I can't think of a scenario that is perfect for you; one that insulates without potential trouble of having damp problems.


You go with a more expensive option.
If the inner section of the living room isn't supporting any weight, it could potentially be easy to take it down, re build a wall with a gap between for insulation. The plus side is that you will have a nice new neat wall to plaster, rather than mess around with battens.... and you won't have to worry about damp reaching the inner walls (if DPC is done well)
Downside, if there is any weight on the inner part of the wall it's gonna be problematic.

I have a similar, but thankfully small problem in a room, except that the wall is load bearing :(

Just my two cents....
Rank: Labourer
Progress to next rank:
Posts: 2
Joined: Wed Jun 09, 2010 7:49 am

Postby TheDoctor4 » Fri Jul 02, 2010 7:58 pm

If you would like to find a reliable, insured and vetted tradesman in your area why not click through to the Find a Tradesman area of DIY Doctor: , complete the form and receive up to 5 FREE quotes
Rank: Project Manager
Posts: 16777215
Joined: Tue Jul 24, 2007 9:12 am
Location: Somerset in the UK in Shepton mallet

Display posts from previous
Sort by
Order by

  • DIY How to Project Guides
  • DIY how to tutorial projects and guides - Did you know we have a DIY Projects section? Well, if no, then we certainly do! Within this area of our site have literally hundreds of how-to guides and tutorials that cover a huge range of home improvement tasks. Each page also comes with pictures and a video to make completing those jobs even easier!

  • Related Topics