Insulating my internal walls.
Information, help, tips and advice on cavity walls, ceilings and lofts etc....

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
keatzo
Labourer
Labourer

Insulating my internal walls.

by keatzo » Sat May 15, 2010 1:38 am

I have recently moved into a new property and we have been informed that due to the construction we can not have cavity wall insulation. I decided to remove existing plaster boards on the internal walls and build a wooden frame,install kingspan/celotex and then refit new plaster boards.I have been told by a friend that i need to fit a membrane to avoid any damp issues. If this is the case how do i fit a membrane and do i need to allow somewhere for any collected water to drain to?

stoneyboy
Project Manager
Project Manager

by stoneyboy » Sun May 16, 2010 10:36 pm

keatzo,
Once you have exposed an area of the internal leaf of your outside wall you should get a surveyor (your local building inspector may help for a fee) in to advise you on the type of construction which will be suitable. If you don't get it right you are likely to get condensation within the structure.
end

keatzo
Labourer
Labourer

insulating my internal walls

by keatzo » Mon May 17, 2010 2:52 am

stoneyboy

Thanks for that, i'll check with the local authoritys.

Perry525
Site Agent
Site Agent

by Perry525 » Mon May 17, 2010 6:59 pm

in 1992 the then Government brought out a new British Standard, that recommended that buildings in the west of the UK, that are subject to driving rain should not have cavity wall insulation.
Depending on where you are, that may be of interest.
I wonder why your home was plaster boarded, was there damp?
If there was/is has it been cured?

TheDoctor4
Project Manager
Project Manager

Help from DIY Doctor!

by TheDoctor4 » Fri Jul 02, 2010 8:59 pm

If you would like to find a reliable, insured and vetted tradesman in your area why not click through to the Find a Tradesman area of DIY Doctor: https://www.diydoctor.org.uk/find_tradesmen/ , complete the form and receive up to 5 FREE quotes

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:26 pm