Insulating Render to end of Terrace to Reduce Heating Costs
Information, help, tips and advice on cavity walls, ceilings and lofts etc....

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Halesowenmum
Apprentice
Apprentice

Insulating Render to end of Terrace to Reduce Heating Costs

by Halesowenmum » Sun Oct 04, 2015 2:41 pm

33 gable end.jpg
Hiya

I'm buying a 1900s end terrace. I'm wondering whether it would make economical sense (and what would it likely cost, this is the property attached) in terms of reducing heating costs, to do this just to this end wall rather than straightforward paint render? Is it worth it?

Also need to bear in mind the juxtaposition of the double garage which some person has erected in 1988 which actually touches my property (cheeky) and provides no access to cover that part of the property with paint or anything else. Plus I'll have to get permission to do the work and ensure the garage roof is protected. The council tells me there's nothing I can do about the garages. Goodness knows how they ever got permission to erect them there so as to prevent the next door homeowner from maintaining their property.

Anyhoo, be interested in views and a rough estimate of what I should expect to pay for thermal rendering/paint rendering?

Be grateful for any information really. I've got to do this work on a budget, the render does need doing (and obviously, preferably before horrendous winter weather sets in) so I want to be sure I'm on the right track and informed ahead of going out to get quotes.

diydoctor6
Ganger
Ganger

Re: Insulating Render to end of Terrace to Reduce Heating Costs

by diydoctor6 » Tue Dec 22, 2015 3:23 pm

Hi Halesowenmum,
Expect to pay somewhere in the region of £50 per Sq M. This might vary on situation and if any roof alteration need to be made.

There are some estimates of the saving that you can expect from the Energy Saving Trust: http://www.energysavingtrust.org.uk/domestic/solid-wall

Halesowenmum
Apprentice
Apprentice

by Halesowenmum » Tue Dec 22, 2015 6:24 pm

Thank you very much indeed.

Bauwer
Apprentice
Apprentice

by Bauwer » Fri Dec 02, 2016 9:55 am

Halesowenmum wrote:
The attachment 33 gable end.jpg is no longer available
Hiya

I'm buying a 1900s end terrace. I'm wondering whether it would make economical sense (and what would it likely cost, this is the property attached) in terms of reducing heating costs, to do this just to this end wall rather than straightforward paint render? Is it worth it?

Also need to bear in mind the juxtaposition of the double garage which some person has erected in 1988 which actually touches my property (cheeky) and provides no access to cover that part of the property with paint or anything else. Plus I'll have to get permission to do the work and ensure the garage roof is protected. The council tells me there's nothing I can do about the garages. Goodness knows how they ever got permission to erect them there so as to prevent the next door homeowner from maintaining their property.

Anyhoo, be interested in views and a rough estimate of what I should expect to pay for thermal rendering/paint rendering?

Be grateful for any information really. I've got to do this work on a budget, the render does need doing (and obviously, preferably before horrendous winter weather sets in) so I want to be sure I'm on the right track and informed ahead of going out to get quotes.

Hi Mate,
As your house was built in 1900s it is traditionally built with solid walls without cavity. It is recommended to use breathable (also known as vapour permeable) solid wall insulation materials as these attached, to allow continuous movement of air (vapour) and this helps reduce the possibility of moisture build up. Some options could be accomplished within £25 per sqm price tag.

Regards, Alexander
Attachments
Benchmark 2.jpg

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 5:43 am