Insulating Single Brick, Flat Roof Man Cave
Information, help, tips and advice on cavity walls, ceilings and lofts etc....

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
parajohn999
Labourer
Labourer

Insulating Single Brick, Flat Roof Man Cave

by parajohn999 » Tue Nov 29, 2016 9:46 am

Morning all. Just joined and this is my first post. I love to DIY and am looking forward to creating my man cave. I've got single brick, flat roofed workshop attached to the rear of my garage. I want to make a multipurpose room with a fold down work surface, tool storage area, microbrewery and TV/gaming room. It needs insulating first and I'm thinking battening using 38mmx63mm studwork timber from wickes and using 50mm celotex. I shall be using OSB instead of plasterboard on 3 of the walls and the ceiling and cladding the 4th wall with timber I've recycled from old wooden pallets.
My questions are
1. Will I need a damp proof membrane against the brickwork?
2. Is the 13mm air gap between the celotex and osd/pallet wood ok?
3. I want to use dimable downlights in the ceiling, is celotex ok to use or is there something better?

Many thanks
John

collectors
Foreman
Foreman

Re: Insulating Single Brick, Flat Roof Man Cave

by collectors » Mon Dec 05, 2016 4:56 pm

Hi, Remember that membrane is to stop condensation in the house getting out & in between cavity's.That's why its placed on the front of stud walls just behind the plaster board.
The 13mm gap? Not sure what you mean.
Any insulation around lights is not good.Make sure there is good air circulation around the lights & heatproof cable is used to the light. I have been to many a job where the cables have been cooked because of bad installations.
LED lamps will help with lowering the heat problem. But that wont stop someone forgetting at a later date & putting a mains GU10 lamp in & the cables get cooked.

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:57 pm