Insulating Stone Wall Farmhouse and Air Movement
Re-generate an old or tired space and give it a fresh breath of life. Click here for answers, information and tips

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Donstar
Apprentice
Apprentice

Insulating Stone Wall Farmhouse and Air Movement

by Donstar » Tue Oct 11, 2016 9:39 pm

I reside in an old farmhouse made from stone. The exterior walls are just one thick wall, followed by a gap, then the lathen plaster. My intention is to remove the lathen on the exterior walls, fill with glass wool insulation roll, then add plasterboard.
My question is will there still be sufficient air movement to prevent damp etc if the glass wool is touching the wall and plasterboard, or do I need to still leave a gap (will be hard to do with glass wool).
Thanks

welsh brickie
Project Manager
Project Manager

Re: Insulating Stone Wall Farmhouse and Air Movement

by welsh brickie » Thu Oct 13, 2016 5:56 pm

its best to create a stud wall and leave an air gap, I would use a hardback insulation board like celotex or kingspan, its a better quality insulation

Bauwer
Apprentice
Apprentice

Re: Insulating Stone Wall Farmhouse and Air Movement

by Bauwer » Fri Dec 02, 2016 11:29 am

Donstar wrote:I reside in an old farmhouse made from stone. The exterior walls are just one thick wall, followed by a gap, then the lathen plaster. My intention is to remove the lathen on the exterior walls, fill with glass wool insulation roll, then add plasterboard.
My question is will there still be sufficient air movement to prevent damp etc if the glass wool is touching the wall and plasterboard, or do I need to still leave a gap (will be hard to do with glass wool).
Thanks

My suggestion would be to remove the lathen on the exterior walls, then apply high permeable, breathable thermal plaster. No gap would be required if breathable plaster is used which delivers U value as well.

Regards, Alexander
Attachments
Benchmark 2.jpg

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Sat Apr 20, 2024 4:02 am