Insulation material under attick flooring?
Re-generate an old or tired space and give it a fresh breath of life. Click here for answers, information and tips

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
clc.sheff
Labourer
Labourer

Insulation material under attick flooring?

by clc.sheff » Sat Nov 08, 2008 2:16 pm

Having been saved from making the mistake of creating an occasional room in my attick I have decided to just board it out for storage. I would like to do it myself to save pennies. I have got three questions.
1. I need to re-enforce the floor / first floor ceiling. Will I be ok to screw extra timbers on top of the joists (i.e. Screwing 4*2 timbers on top of the 3*2 existing ones) or is it better to run full depth beams (assume 7*2inch)adjacent to the old ones but keep them independant?
2. Thinking about insulation under the new attick floor. I'm guessing that 150 mm of rockwool is a bit thin for insulating the house so would I be right in saying that i need to splash out on some insulating boards (e.g. kingspan)? If there is a more cost effective product it would be really good to know about it.
3. I want the storage space to feel easily accessable as there is very little storage in the rest of the house. From what I have read I cant put boards under the eves but is there something I can put up to make the space look better and be less draughty and cleaner than just having the tiles?

dennis graham
Apprentice
Apprentice

by dennis graham » Sat Nov 08, 2008 10:06 pm

3x2 on top of existing ceiling joists does not strengthen, lay 7x2 alongside and bolt through, that strengthens. kingspan is very expensive for a boarded out storage area. 150mm fibre glass is perfectly ok, as you appear to be aiming for a 175mm void, and to make the roof area look cleaner, try fibre board, lightweight, and does give a degree of insulation too.

TheDoctor5

by TheDoctor5 » Fri Jan 30, 2009 9:10 am

If you type the key words of your question into our search box to the left of the site you may find the answer is already posted or is in the DIY projects section of the website. Every post goes through a monitoring process and using the search box may speed up your answer.

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Sun Apr 21, 2024 11:14 am