Insulation Options for Shop Front - PVC Sheet?
Information, help, tips and advice on cavity walls, ceilings and lofts etc....

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
jdaly42
Labourer
Labourer

Insulation Options for Shop Front - PVC Sheet?

by jdaly42 » Thu Nov 06, 2014 12:27 pm

Hi there,

Hoping someone can give me some advice on how the best and most cost effective way to insulate a the shop front in the pictures below?

It is single glazing but I'm looking at options that would be cheaper than double glazing if possible.

I was thinking of an an internal sheet of transparent or tinted PVC, either flush to the window or running down from an appropriate point in front of the window (there are a couple of options that I would imagine viable from the photographs?)

The shop front does get a lot of sunlight in the summer and is overly bright, hence why I thought a slightly tinted sheet of PVC would help to minimise that as well.

However with that said the main focus at the minute is to get the shop insulated for winter and help it to retain as much heat as possible.

Thanks in advance for any help!

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Perry525
Site Agent
Site Agent

Re: Insulation Options for Shop Front - PVC Sheet?

by Perry525 » Wed Nov 12, 2014 8:22 pm

These are very large windows, as such, it is impossible to insulate them using any type of plastic, as it will bend and flop.
Really the only way to do this, is to fit new glass windows inside the existing windows.
In effect, make your own double glazing. Or have your existing windows removed and have new glass fitted on the inside of your existing windows.

Air is the basis of most modern insulation and a gap of 19mm is wide enough to provide insulation, but not so wide as to allow the air in the gap to rotate and transfer your heat to the outer pane.

While I know people have made their own double glazing in this way for small windows, I have never come across any of this size.

You have to be aware, that glass is heavy and tricky to move - as such let a glazing company do this, they have the equipment, staff and experience.

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 8:28 am