DIY Doctor

Insulation requirement from Oct 2010

Postby tyke » Thu Mar 17, 2011 10:39 am

I raised this under 'Timber Frame' but there was no response so apologies for raising it again as this may be the more appropriate topic:-
Or is this too big a subject?
We built a timber framed extension some years ago without problems but we simply cannot wrap our heads around the new insulation requirements for another single storey extension we need.
Is there a layman's guide to the actual requirements which explains from start to finish how to calculate, from scratch, what is needed?
We don't need planning permission but we do have to meet building regs - but how?
Rank: Apprentice
Progress to next rank:
Posts: 10
Joined: Fri Dec 03, 2010 2:03 am


Simply Build It

Postby welsh brickie » Sat Mar 19, 2011 5:24 pm

Its difficult to assess what building control want without plans.
Have a word with an architect or arrange a meeting with building control
welsh brickie
Rank: Project Manager
Posts: 2611
Joined: Sat Apr 12, 2008 7:54 am

Postby sam0010 » Mon Jun 20, 2011 10:39 am

Hi Tyke,

I work for Kingspan, its a common question we get asked, as a starting point for new elements in an extension, conversion & renovation 0.28W/m²K would be good. For refurbishment and retained elements this is slightly higher at 0.30W/m²K. Hope this helps.

Rank: Labourer
Progress to next rank:
Posts: 3
Joined: Mon Jun 20, 2011 10:16 am

Display posts from previous
Sort by
Order by

  • DIY How to Project Guides
  • DIY how to tutorial projects and guides - Did you know we have a DIY Projects section? Well, if no, then we certainly do! Within this area of our site have literally hundreds of how-to guides and tutorials that cover a huge range of home improvement tasks. Each page also comes with pictures and a video to make completing those jobs even easier!

  • Related Topics