Integrated electric Oven and Hob - protecting unit from heat
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
The Riviera Kid
Tradesman
Tradesman

Integrated electric Oven and Hob - protecting unit from heat

by The Riviera Kid » Mon Feb 23, 2009 4:35 pm

Hi folks,

Bought a Beko integrated electric oven and ceramic hob from B&Q along with a base unit to put it in. There is a line in the instruction manual which says that the "cupboard material must be heat resistant (or be covered with similar material)".

I asked at B&Q who seemed unsure whether the base unit is heat resistant or not.

Despite the fact I feel confident that I know what I am doing in wiring it up (with the different ratings of oven and hob), I'm going to ask an electrician to fit it - but in case he doesn't know about the heat resistance of the base unit (or refuses to comment) - I'd like to know how likely it is that the B&Q base unit is heat resistant - and if there's any doubt - what should I line it with to make it safe? Is there an off the shelf lining product?

Thanks

kbrownie
Project Manager
Project Manager

by kbrownie » Mon Feb 23, 2009 9:33 pm

Now forgive me for being vague because it is not a oven I pretend to be too familiar (is that spelt right?) with, but manufactures instruction are always to be followed i'd call them and ask the question.
The hob should not cause a problem and generally the oven casing don't get that hot, but it will need venilation.
But call to be safe and ask for recommendations
Kind Regards
KB (sorry not over helpful)

rosebery
Project Manager
Project Manager

Re: Integrated electric Oven and Hob - protecting unit from

by rosebery » Mon Feb 23, 2009 10:24 pm

Bought a Beko integrated electric oven and ceramic hob from B&Q along with a base unit to put it in. There is a line in the instruction manual which says that the "cupboard material must be heat resistant (or be covered with similar material)".

Presume that the instruction manual is for the oven and hob rather than the base unit.

"I asked at B&Q who seemed unsure whether the base unit is heat resistant or not."

Now theres a surprise!!

"Despite the fact I feel confident that I know what I am doing in wiring it up (with the different ratings of oven and hob), I'm going to ask an electrician to fit it"

Thats the correct thing to do.

" - but in case he doesn't know about the heat resistance of the base unit (or refuses to comment) - I'd like to know how likely it is that the B&Q base unit is heat resistant - and if there's any doubt - what should I line it with to make it safe?

If it isn't then its not fit for purpose and they should not have sold it to you if it proves not to be.

"Is there an off the shelf lining product?"

I don't know of one off-hand. There really should be no difference between your oven and hob and all the others that are sold in various emporia to fit in a standard oven housing unit. I'm not convinced that you need worry overly. It sounds like the applicatioin of the CYA principal by Beko. Bit like Starbucks and the like labelling their carryouts "Caution contents may be hot".

HTH

Cheers

Thanks[/quote]

The Riviera Kid
Tradesman
Tradesman

by The Riviera Kid » Tue Feb 24, 2009 1:04 am

Thanks folks. lol the starbucks comment had me laughing!

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 9:51 am