Intercom - where to put wires that have come disconnected
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Radge70
Apprentice
Apprentice

Intercom - where to put wires that have come disconnected

by Radge70 » Sun Mar 27, 2022 12:00 am

First of all, I don’t know anything about electrics but I’m good at following advice! I have a 6 way intercom (with additional service button). A few years back it lost the ability to communicate with the handsets but this was because someone stole the speaker/amplifier from behind the call panel! The buttons to buzz the handsets continued to work, as did the headsets for the purposes of remotely releasing the door lock and letting people in. The system, has now, however, lost even that ability. I’m looking to get it back to it’s basic state of functioning (as the ability to communicate via the handsets isn’t really needed) and I’m looking for some advice. I have checked that there is 240V running into the Power Supply Unit and that there is 12V running out of it to the call panel. I have also checked that the call panel is receiving the 12V and it is. Some cables have come loose inside the call panel, and I think that’s what the problem is. The problem is, I don’t know where to re-connect them! In my first attached photo, the orange arrow points to the wire that originates from the live terminal and goes into the service button terminal, the red arrow shows the loose cable and I think it should go into where the blue arrow is pointing. I think that would complete the circuit and potentially make the buttons work again as they would all then be connected to each other. Am I correct? In the second photo, however, there are another couple of disconnected wires (shown by the orange arrows). Someone has suggested that the top orange goes where the red arrow is pointing but didn’t comment on where the other wire should go! I’ve attached a 3rd photo showing the entire set up. Any help would be hugely appreciated!
Attachments
entire set up
entire set up
there are another couple of disconnected wires (shown by the orange arrows).  Someone has suggested that the top orange goes where the red arrow is pointing but didn’t comment on where the other wire should go
there are another couple of disconnected wires (shown by the orange arrows). Someone has suggested that the top orange goes where the red arrow is pointing but didn’t comment on where the other wire should go
the orange arrow points to the wire that originates from the live terminal and goes into the service button terminal, the red arrow shows the loose cable and I think it should go into where the blue arrow is pointing
the orange arrow points to the wire that originates from the live terminal and goes into the service button terminal, the red arrow shows the loose cable and I think it should go into where the blue arrow is pointing

Mr White
Project Manager
Project Manager

Re: Intercom - where to put wires that have come disconnected

by Mr White » Sun Mar 27, 2022 12:22 am

Radge70 wrote:The problem is, I don’t know where to re-connect them!

What makes you think anyone on a random forum will know where to connect them? There is NOT a standard colour code for intercoms, so without a wiring diagram all anyone can do is guess, get it wrong and...............

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Sun Apr 07, 2024 10:19 pm