Interior wooden doors sticking
Kitchens, doors, rails, stud, tables, chairs, stair cases, garden furniture etc... Find answers and ask questions here!

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
bakerboy1977
Labourer
Labourer

Interior wooden doors sticking

by bakerboy1977 » Fri Sep 19, 2008 8:41 pm

4 of my interior wooden doors are sticking... mainly at the bottom of the door. I can't find any leaks in the house and I've had the doors for 6 years without any previous problems.

Is it possible the weather is causing this? It has been raining all summer and is about 18 or 19 degrees.

Has anybody got any ideas why this is happening?

Favposi
Apprentice
Apprentice

by Favposi » Fri Oct 10, 2008 10:53 pm

Hi,
Humidity can cause problems with expanding and contracting timber. Timber is always moving with the different weather conditions. I have seen parquet flooring in school hall floors pop up from the sub base due to humidity. In time, the door will contract to the original size when put on. As a quick fix I would sugest that taking small slithers of timber off the door using a sharp plane. Not too much so as to produce a large gap when it finally does go back to the original size.
Hope this helps.

Favposi
Apprentice
Apprentice

by Favposi » Fri Oct 10, 2008 10:56 pm

Sorry, I forgot to mention.
First, I would look to see if the screws on the top hinge have come loose causing the door to sag. If so, tighten them.

chris_on_tour2002
Project Manager
Project Manager

by chris_on_tour2002 » Mon Oct 13, 2008 11:33 pm

general humidity, most of which is not caused by leaks or the weather but what goes on inside the house - showers, baths, (which is why bathroom doors should always be hung with three hinges, not two - to help prevent warping) boiling kettles and drying wet clothes on the radiators all fill the house with moisture but most of us don't give it a second thought. opening windows will help, even on a rainy day the air in your house is likely to be more humid than that outside.

if you do plane, don't take too much off - the doors can shrink again leaving a big gap at the bottom.

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 8:03 pm