interlock info needed
Help and information on all topics relating to your central heating, air conditioning and ventilation issues.

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
kevarch
Apprentice
Apprentice

interlock info needed

by kevarch » Tue May 27, 2008 4:50 pm

hi
can anyone explain to me what a boiler interlock is, how it works, when they are required and how do i check if i have one?
thanks

sparx
Project Manager
Project Manager

by sparx » Tue May 27, 2008 10:50 pm

Hi boiler interlock is a strange name for it , a bit misleading I believe, but it refers to Part L of bldg regs 'energy efficiency'.
In an attempt to give greater control over C.H. systems plumbers/heating Engs. began fitting TRV's to every rad. this gives rise to boilers constantly 'cycling' on/off as so little water flowing in a circuit that is up to temp. the boiler/pump cool down a bit , fire up and straight away the returning water is at cut off temp so boiler/pump stop, within a very short time water cools & starts cycle again. This is wasteful of gas & wearing on components so a 'boiler interlock' is introduced, sounds technical but is in fact just a room thermostat fitted in an area which has a radiator without a TRV fitted. This acts as a final cut off so is usually in an area such as a hallway that would cut back in if say a cold draught from an open door cooled the hall. The capacity of water in the rad and the volume off air around the stat have a 'damping' effect on the system.
There is a statement in Bldg Regs which says 'fitting of all TRV's in a system is unlikely to comply with Part-L requirements'
hope this is helpfull,
SPARX

kevarch
Apprentice
Apprentice

by kevarch » Wed May 28, 2008 9:18 am

thanks for the reply sparx. very helpful.
kevarch

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1