Intermittent Lighting Problem With Upstairs Lights
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

7 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
AnthonyP
Labourer
Labourer

Intermittent Lighting Problem With Upstairs Lights

Post by AnthonyP » Thu Aug 09, 2018 3:14 pm

Intermittent upstairs lighting issue.
For no apparent reason, our upstairs lighting system has suddenly developed an intermittent problem. About once a day (different times) any one of the upstairs lights we try to switch on will not function. If we leave it physically switched on, it will not actually come on until we either;
a) switch on another light on the same circuit, b) flip the specific MCB (2 year old consumer unit) on and off, or c) wait about 1.5 minutes.
Doing any one of these three things will bring the original on and it remains working normally after than. Weird or what! Any help much appreciated.

Mr White
Project Manager
Project Manager

Re: Intermittent Lighting Problem With Upstairs Lights

Post by Mr White » Thu Aug 09, 2018 8:41 pm

From your description it would appear that you have a loose wire. Where ? That is any ones guess.
I would suggest you switch the electricity off and check all the connections are tight and actually connecting to a copper wire (Not the insulation)

You will have to check them all, because if you don't the one you do not check will be the cause of your problem

AnthonyP
Labourer
Labourer

Post by AnthonyP » Thu Aug 09, 2018 8:53 pm

Hi,
Thanks very much for the reply. I'm an electronics engineer by trade (not an electrician note!), and whilst I get your idea, I don't understand why switching on another light on the same circuit brings the 'faulty' one back to life?
Similarly with the repeatable 1.5 minute delay where the offending light suddenly comes back to life. Just seems to 'predictable' to simply be a loose wire?
Any ideas? Faulty MCB?
Tony

Mr White
Project Manager
Project Manager

Post by Mr White » Thu Aug 09, 2018 10:25 pm

Same idea as last time, check all the connections

AnthonyP
Labourer
Labourer

Post by AnthonyP » Fri Aug 10, 2018 6:42 am

Fair enough, thanks for the strong steer. I was briefly getting some gear down from one of our lofts before this started and we have some wiring running between lights across floor boards. Gives me a pretty good starting point me thinks!
Thanks again.
Tony

AnthonyP
Labourer
Labourer

Post by AnthonyP » Mon Aug 13, 2018 1:40 pm

Hi again,
Just a quick thank you and follow up.
Jiggling wires running across the boarded loft floor I found the loose connection causing a light to flicker. Bit of an awkward one on a hanging light over a staircase. But identified the wire and screwed it firmly back in place.

That was several days ago and not a problem since!
Cheers,
Tony

Mr White
Project Manager
Project Manager

Post by Mr White » Mon Aug 13, 2018 5:44 pm

Thanks for the feedback.

7 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Wed Apr 10, 2024 1:13 am