Internal Door Size Issues and Calculating Correct Size
Kitchens, doors, rails, stud, tables, chairs, stair cases, garden furniture etc... Find answers and ask questions here!

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Carceris
Labourer
Labourer

Internal Door Size Issues and Calculating Correct Size

Post by Carceris » Wed May 30, 2018 6:33 pm

We want to put in a door for a room in our apartment. Since there isn't much space for the door to open in the room, we want to go for bi-fold or french/double doors. The opening is ~83cm wide and ~206cm high and the notches on either side 1,5 cm, see attached pictures. The measurements of the door opening don't seem to be standard as I can't find many options. (we're in the UK). I was considering ordering a custom door from https://doors2size.co.uk/custom_doors/ instead.

- Should I order a door with those exact measurements or slightly smaller than the opening because of the hinges?
- Would getting a doorset instead of just a door make any difference?

Kind regards,

Freek
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Sometimewoodworker
Ganger
Ganger

Re: Internal Door Size Issues and Calculating Correct Size

Post by Sometimewoodworker » Thu May 31, 2018 1:18 am

Carceris wrote:- Should I order a door with those exact measurements or slightly smaller than the opening because of the hinges?
- Would getting a doorset instead of just a door make any difference?

Kind regards,

Freek

You should get a door 10~16mm narrower, not because of the hinges, which should be rebated into the door and frame anyway, but because if the door is an exact fit into the opening you will be unable to open or close it.

What do you mean by a "doorset"? As it's not a standard term.

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Sun Mar 31, 2024 6:57 pm