Is 1st Floor Strong Enough for Aerobics?
Information, help and advice on many architecture, self build and design problems and issues

emducks
Labourer
Labourer

Is 1st Floor Strong Enough for Aerobics?

by emducks » Fri Sep 06, 2019 8:14 pm

I live in a remodelled Victorian. My husband does very high impact aerobics upstairs on the 1st floor. While I am sat on the ground floor, I see the ceiling move with every jump. When he's really going for it, the lights shake, the ceiling bows and I am worried he will bust through the ceiling and fall into the reception/living room. He thinks I am ridiculous and any floor should be strong enough for a 200 lb man to jump up and down for 1/2 an hour every day. Is he right? (I hope so.) Or is there something prudent we should do to determine whether the floor is strong enough for this type of activity? Sitting in the living room (double reception), I can tell you there is a typical beam above me at the halfway point. Should that be adequate, or is it important to find out the material of the wood under his feet where he actually jumps (which is in the middle of one of the two bedrooms above the reception/living room)? Is there some kind of support we should add under that section of floor to better protect it (and him)? Thanks in advance for any thoughts . . .

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:04 pm