Is a Fused Switch Dangerous if not Attached to an Appliance?
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
DIY-Noob
Labourer
Labourer

Is a Fused Switch Dangerous if not Attached to an Appliance?

by DIY-Noob » Thu Oct 30, 2014 7:14 pm

Hi,

I am wanting to remove an electric wall mounted fire as it is broken and no longer needed. Is it safe to remove the appliance cable and keep the fused switch on the wall but not attached to an appliance?

If I have read how fused switches work correctly I could remove the fuse as well and no electricity will flow to the appliance cable 'outlets'? Excuse the non electrical terminology, I am completely new to anything electrical and really need some confirmation if I am safe to do this.

hope someone can help.
thanks,

Julie

ericmark
Project Manager
Project Manager

Re: Is a Fused Switch Dangerous if not Attached to an Appliance?

by ericmark » Fri Oct 31, 2014 3:28 am

Since the neutral will still be connected the normal method would be to drop to cable out of the FCU to appliance leaving just the supply to the FCU.

Since neutral is at or near earth potential there is not much danger leaving the cable in the FCU and removing fuse and putting a lock in the fuse holder they are designed to take a lock so no one can replace the fuse. Even a tie wrap would comply as it requires a tool to remove it.

However there is a chance if any one touches the neutral it could trip the RCD.

So if removal is temporary then tape up cable ends and remove fuse. If permanent then drop the flex out of the FCU with the supply turned off of course while doing the work.

DIY-Noob
Labourer
Labourer

Re: Is a Fused Switch Dangerous if not Attached to an Appliance?

by DIY-Noob » Fri Oct 31, 2014 8:24 am

Thanks for your reply ericmark.

Your explanation was just what I needed to know to give me the confidence to try this myself :)

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Tue Apr 02, 2024 8:31 pm