Is a new water supply required?
If you want to know how your DIY projects could be affected by building and planning regulations, click here to post questions and view answers

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
MaryAnn
Labourer
Labourer

Is a new water supply required?

by MaryAnn » Wed Apr 11, 2012 12:57 pm

Hello,

I wrote this post, submitted it and now can't find it anywhere so apologies if this is a duplicate!

I live in an old terrace and share the water supply with one other property. The water comes through my house and out through my kitchen into next door via a pipe in the wall. I would like to get a water metre in because I am paying far too much in water rates for what I use. However the issue of shared supply has raised some questions for me.

Next door has been bought by some builders and is being completely renovated. They have stripped the house to a shell. The neighbour on my other side, who seems quite knowledgable (? we shall see) says that they legally have to put a new water supply in, I think this was related to the works they were doing (all plumbing and electrics etc has been taken out). I was surprised by this, but wanted to see if there is any truth in it. As the house is a shell it would be no trouble for them to put a new water supply in, but the builders don't seem so keen.

Thanks for any advice you can throw my way...

welsh brickie
Project Manager
Project Manager

Re: Is a new water supply required?

by welsh brickie » Wed Apr 11, 2012 7:50 pm

if you have an existing lead pipe as your water main you used to get a grant for renewing it.But Im not sure if its still available.
Contact your local water supplier they will give you more info.

MaryAnn
Labourer
Labourer

by MaryAnn » Thu Apr 12, 2012 9:45 am

Thanks I have looked at the Water suppliers website and found this:

Redeveloping of sites with existing supplies:

"If you are developing a site where a previous property has been demolished or the existing property is being redeveloped and there is an existing live water supply, it is advisable not to use the existing water supply. All pipework to new and converted properties must comply with the Water Supply (Water Fittings) Regulations 1999, and therefore any pipework installed prior to 1999 may not be compliant".

However from what I know there is no pipework in their property (because it runs through mine). Therefore I do not know how much this applies. However it would seem logical that if they are completely renovating the house that they install an actual water supply to their building based on the above?

welsh brickie
Project Manager
Project Manager

by welsh brickie » Thu Apr 12, 2012 3:42 pm

I would contact by telephone your water supplier and ask for a surveyor to check your main and explain that you want it renewed as the neighbour is using your supply.

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1