Is it legal for a private individual to sell a gas boiler?
Help and information on all topics relating to your central heating, air conditioning and ventilation issues.

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
hightail
Labourer
Labourer

Is it legal for a private individual to sell a gas boiler?

by hightail » Wed Dec 29, 2010 8:57 am

It's a long story but thanks to an incompetent but properly qualified heating engineer I have a brand new gas boiler sitting in my utility room, still boxed. For the sake of speed to get heating working again he ordered it over the phone and I went to collect and pay for it. The idea was to get an identical boiler to the one we were replacing so he could slot it in easily. Turns out it's the wrong one and unsuitable for installation. The supplier will not take it back. I can't afford another boiler and I don't know what to do with this one. I've now been without heating since mid December. The only thing I can think of is to advertise it to try and recoup some of the money. Does anyone know if there are restrictions on who can sell a gas boiler?

htg engineer
Project Manager
Project Manager

by htg engineer » Wed Dec 29, 2010 6:41 pm

No there isn't, you can sell it legally. The only law/regulations cover installing, so whoever buys it needs an RGI to install it and check it's safe to use.

htg

hightail
Labourer
Labourer

by hightail » Thu Dec 30, 2010 7:48 am

Thank you so much for that. If I can get back even half of what I paid for it I stand a chance of moving forward. It is still in its original packaging, very obviously never been removed and I have the invoice from the week before Christmas.

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1