Is it ok to close an open-top water tank of electric heater?
All aspects of plumbing questions and answers, help, tips and information

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Linnda
Labourer
Labourer

Is it ok to close an open-top water tank of electric heater?

by Linnda » Tue Jun 14, 2011 1:24 pm

Hi,

Would it be safe to put something (perhaps a a piece of wood?) on top of the water tank of an electric immersion water heater? It is making a lot of noise (not only the splashing water) and I'm sure it's disturbing the neighbours as it's quite loud. It also had gathered a lot of dirt at the top and looked like nobody had cleaned it for many years. So I though covering it would prevent the future dirt from going into the water as well. So is the open-top design necessery for the tank to operate safely or could it be closed up with something? Any advice would be appreciated,
Linda

collectors
Foreman
Foreman

by collectors » Wed Jun 15, 2011 8:35 am

Would need a bit more info. It sounds like you are talking about a split hot/cold water tank commonly used in flats. If this is the case it wouldn't be a problem to cover the top of the tank with possibly a shelf that was removable for maintenance.

Linnda
Labourer
Labourer

by Linnda » Wed Jun 15, 2011 3:30 pm

Ho, yes that sounds like it, the top department is for cold water, it is about 30cm deep and water flow is regulated by the ball (like in the toilet). I can't really see much of the rest of the tank beacuse it's in a corner and behind a piece of wood. Thanks for your help,

Linda[/img][/url]

chris_on_tour2002
Project Manager
Project Manager

by chris_on_tour2002 » Sat Jun 18, 2011 8:43 am

then yes it will be fine to cover, in fact it ought to be. you might want to clean it out first.

Linnda
Labourer
Labourer

by Linnda » Tue Jun 21, 2011 11:06 am

Thanks a lot for your advice, I've got soem peace of mind now :)

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Tue Feb 20, 2024 5:38 am