Is it possible to reduce the max spin rpm on a washing machine
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
chol
Labourer
Labourer

Is it possible to reduce the max spin rpm on a washing machine

by chol » Wed Jun 01, 2022 11:33 am

I have a flat with a suspended floor. When the washing machine goes in to its spin cycle the whole flat shakes violently. I've had complaints from neighbours. I've tried levelling the feet on the washing machine but it doesn't make a difference. I think its the suspended floor that's causing the problem so I want to reduce the maximum spin rate from 1600 to 1200. I rent the flat out and I can buy a new machine but is there any way of preventing the use of the existing washing machine above 1200. I've tried asking the tenants but they don't do it.

ericmark
Project Manager
Project Manager

Re: Is it possible to reduce the max spin rpm on a washing machine

by ericmark » Thu Jun 02, 2022 6:44 am

The answer has to be yes, but finding some one who could reprogram the PIC is unlikely, so in real terms answer is no.

Washing machines have improved over the years, mothers old Bendix had to be bolted to the floor, in the main the machine uses weights to damp down the vibrations, and it has been known for the weights to become loose.

I was involved with making the weights, they were made on a concrete press, if they were too thick, they simply would not fit in the washing machine, but if too thin the flashing could mean they feel as if tightened up fully, but in use the flashing crumbles and they become loose.

Modern machines have a sensor which will turn off the spin cycle if too far out of balance, this also activates if weights become loose, so the need to have a remote switch to switch off a machine dancing around the floor has in the main gone, and the days of the twin tub dancing across the floor are over.

However in the main when buying a washing machine we have little knowledge on how well it is really made, the more expensive tend to be better, but the amount it is allowed to move before the spin cycle is switched off is some thing set by the manufacturer, as in real terms we have no control.

chol
Labourer
Labourer

by chol » Thu Jun 02, 2022 11:11 am

Thank you for your reply. Its much appreciated. I think, given what you've said, I'm going to buy a new, good quality machine with a slower spin cycle, although I appreciate that might not improve the situation.

Mr White
Project Manager
Project Manager

by Mr White » Thu Jun 02, 2022 6:49 pm

Ignore this please.

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Mon Apr 15, 2024 8:34 pm