DIY Doctor

Is my Bathroom Wall Likely to be Load Bearing?

Postby DavidW76 » Tue Apr 30, 2019 4:32 pm

Everything pointed to not until I took away the door frame... Basically I have a separate toilet & bathroom I want to knock through. The wall itself is some very thin black blocks that is built on top of the floor boards. In the loft, the joists run the same way as the wall.

However, after taking out the door frames, some timber 'supports' are running about 1/3rd of the way down that have been cut in to the blocks and stick out about 2 inches in to the loft and are nailed in to the beams above?

I hope some of that makes sense, but I am now unsure if these are supports or for something else?
DavidW76
Progress to next rank:
0%

Sponsor

DIY asbestos test kits

Postby Kal1986 » Wed May 01, 2019 11:37 am

Any pictures?

Normally the load bearing walls are opposite to the run of joists, but that doesnt mean all are. The fact they're embedded into the block work mean it maybe.
Kal1986
Progress to next rank:
25%

Sort by
Order by

• DIY How to Project Guides
  • DIY how to tutorial projects and guides - Did you know we have a DIY Projects section? Well, if no, then we certainly do! Within this area of our site have literally hundreds of how-to guides and tutorials that cover a huge range of home improvement tasks. Each page also comes with pictures and a video to make completing those jobs even easier!