Is My Conservatory Subsiding?
Conservatories are a great all-round addition to any home. Find help, advice and information on all aspects of this area.

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
nitro23456
Foreman
Foreman

Is My Conservatory Subsiding?

by nitro23456 » Sun Oct 05, 2008 1:59 pm

Hi

I have a lean-to conservatory with dwarf walls that was added to my property by the previous owners in 2003.

Over the last 8 months or so the the door has been sticking (a single uPVC door just like a back door). This was worse when the weather was hot, which I presume is down to expansion of the plastics. Anway, I have adjusted the door mechanisms so that it closes properly again.

What worries me more is that where the dwarf wall on the left of the conservatory meets the original house there is a crack in the mortar as if the dwarf wall is coming away from the house. The crack is 4mm at its widest part and wider at the top and narrow at the bottom - this on the inside of the conservatory and the mastic has also split. On the outside, the crack is very hairline but you can see from inside to outside through the crack if you squint enough. The mastic hasnt split on the outside. The other side (right hand side) of the conservatory is completely unaffected.

My father inlaw is a builder of 30 years experience and he reckons its nothing to worry about...... I have been measuring the crack (which certainly wasnt there when we moved in 3 years ago or even last year that I can remember) for 3 months now and it hasnt increased..... I am wondering whether the earthquake we had earlier this year has just caused the mortar to crack?

If anyone has any advice (I am not paying £100s for surveys at this stage) it would greatly received...... if I continue to monitor and it doesnt get wider, what is the best way to repair this mortar myself? and should I scrape out the mastic and start over or fill the mastic split with more mastic on top?

welsh brickie
Project Manager
Project Manager

conservatory

by welsh brickie » Mon Oct 06, 2008 1:12 pm

I think your father in law is correct,sounds like a little bit of settlement I suggest you scrape out the morter and mastic and reseal.
Like you said your father in law has 30 years experience I suggest you follow his advice it will save money on expensive surveys.

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 5:23 am