Is my door legal?
Post questions and find answers on glazing, double glazing, upvc glazing, conservatory glazing, fixtures and fittings etc....

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
wormholt
Labourer
Labourer

Is my door legal?

by wormholt » Fri Mar 25, 2011 2:03 pm

I need advise on a double glazed door I fitted two years ago. My house is a 1930's bungalow and the door in question was the original front door, now inside a porch built in 1992. I needed a new door after the original fell out of it's frame. The frame was rotten on the inside as was the door and far beyond repair. As it was Saturday morning my chances of getting a immediate solution without breaking the bank was zero. Being a experienced diyer I headed to a well known DIY chain and purchased a double glazed back door. The reason for my choice was low price, easy to fit and the whole door was glass rather than a solid bottom panel. Everything was OK until a friend said he thought it was now illegal to install your own doors. I have asked around and looked on other forums and the numerous answers generally fall into two categories: 1. It's illegal and 2. It's legal. I tried my local Council but couldn't get a straight answer. Instead they sent a booklet that basically said check with your local Council. Anyone out there been in a similar situation? All advise is welcome.

welsh brickie
Project Manager
Project Manager

legal or illegal

by welsh brickie » Fri Mar 25, 2011 6:32 pm

if you were installing double glazing doors/windows on other peoples homes you need to be FENSA registered.You are not,and its your house so your not doing it illegally.

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Sun Apr 07, 2024 5:59 pm