Is Planning Permission Needed to Construct Outbuilding in Garden?
If you want to know how your DIY projects could be affected by building and planning regulations, click here to post questions and view answers

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
aaronk
Labourer
Labourer

Is Planning Permission Needed to Construct Outbuilding in Garden?

Post by aaronk » Sun May 15, 2016 2:35 pm

Hi All,

I am looking to build a outbuilding at the rear of my garden and the garden next door (that I own) and want to know if planning permission is needed? I have looked online and while I can see dimension for the height, I cannot see any for the width?

I have added a link to the drawing so please let me know if planning is required. Thank you

http://imgur.com/7HkGxgp

bikerchris
Apprentice
Apprentice

Re: Is Planning Permission Needed to Construct Outbuilding in Garden?

Post by bikerchris » Tue May 24, 2016 2:19 pm

Hi there,

First things first, you need to know your area - so if you're in an AONB or Conservation area, it's likely you'll need planning permission.

The rules don't refer to widths or lengths, only height and the proportion of your garden that you're proposing to cover with an outbuilding. If you exceed half of the area around the original house, you'll need planning permission, although this is unlikely unless you have a very small garden and a very big house.

The height issue is that the eaves shouldn't exceed 2.5 metres and the maximum over all height is no more than 4 metres. In the case of a building within 2 metres of the boundary (even if it's yours on the other side), 2.5 metres is the height limit.

If you're in doubt, a pre-application enquiry can be made with most Local Authorities for around £25. This will only tell you if you should go for planning or not.

I hope that helps.

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1