DIY Doctor

Main navigation

Is There Such a Thing as a One Handed Wire Connector?

Postby Gav74 » Sun Oct 06, 2019 12:32 pm

Just wondering if there is such a thing?

I have a lovely shower room, which suffers from condensation, so I thought I'd see if I could fit an extractor fan.
A quick look outside revealed that there must have been one once as there's an outside vent, with a pipe that ends at a blank wall. I measured up and worked out where it must be, drilled the hole in the tiles and everything was fine.
I stuck my phone in the forearm sized hole to see that the wires are in there with a chocolate block on the end, but they're in a large void and I can just about reach them with my hand. It's a brick wall, with a just bigger than extractor vent hole in it, so even if I took the whole tile off I still wouldn't be able to get more than one hand in there.
So, is there a way to connect up some wires in there, blind and one-handed, or do I need to choose between giving up, or knocking bricks out too?
Attachments
20191006_131317.jpg
Gav74
Progress to next rank:
25%

Sponsor

Simply Build It

Postby ericmark » Sun Oct 06, 2019 9:05 pm

Google maintenance free wiring connectors, see if they will help.
ericmark

Postby DR_Smith » Mon Oct 14, 2019 9:02 pm

Hi Gav,
Personally I would turn mains off whilst working on it until you know for sure where cable come from - and that is also isolated.
Possibly the wire went to the bathroom light switch or bathroom light, so fan comes on with light?
Possibly bathroom pull switch /ceiling rose is accessible from a loft above. If so, you can unscrew this cable, attach some string to it and then pull it through your hand hole enough for 2 handed job.
Have you checked where cable comes from, as some fans run off light cable, so when light goes off, fan goes off, others have permanent live too (I think) to enable the fan to run for a few minues after light turned off.
Some fans have alternative wiring blocks so you can choose which of those set ups you want.
Dave
DR_Smith
Progress to next rank:
5.3%

Sort by
Order by

• DIY How to Project Guides
  • DIY how to tutorial projects and guides - Did you know we have a DIY Projects section? Well, if no, then we certainly do! Within this area of our site have literally hundreds of how-to guides and tutorials that cover a huge range of home improvement tasks. Each page also comes with pictures and a video to make completing those jobs even easier!