Is this House Going to be Dark?
Information, help and advice on many architecture, self build and design problems and issues

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
MooseLoose
Labourer
Labourer

Is this House Going to be Dark?

by MooseLoose » Tue Nov 12, 2019 1:53 pm

Hello,
I am new here, so I hope I am posting in the right place and that my image uploads.

We are in the process of purchasing a two storey terrace house in London. The garden faces South-East, and the front of the house faces North-West. We viewed recently, so there was very little sunlight due to the time of year anyway.

If you can see the image attached, we are planning to do a side return (Blue - that toilet in the kitchen will go) and the green shows the outline of the house next door, also currently two-storey.

I know not every room in a house can have light all the time (I’m fine with the fact the main bedroom won’t get much daylight). But I am concerned that the only sunlight the house will be receiving (in the kitchen and back bedroom) will be early morning. And what about the back reception room? How much light is that likely to get?

Thank you for reading this far! I think I am looking for reassurance as it is a big commitment. (We are buying it as a family home)
Attachments
E934C77F-F309-4A4B-BC6E-0031BB8E4931.jpeg

DIYQueen
Apprentice
Apprentice

Re: Is this House Going to be Dark?

by DIYQueen » Fri Nov 22, 2019 12:51 pm

Yes it probably is. However, you can remedy this with good interior lighting and you might also be able to introduce bigger windows.

MooseLoose
Labourer
Labourer

Re: Is this House Going to be Dark?

by MooseLoose » Wed Dec 04, 2019 9:58 am

Thank you DIYQueen for your response

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Fri Apr 12, 2024 10:33 pm